INDIAN WELLS, Calif. (AP): Victoria Azarenka defeated error-prone Serena Williams 6-4, 6-4 to win the BNP Paribas Open yesterday, returning Azarenka to the world’s top 10 for the first time since August 2014. Clearly the crowd favourite, Williams gave fans little to cheer about on a 918 (328C) day in the California desert, while making 33 unforced errors. After getting broken to trail 3-0 in the second set, Williams returned to her seat and smashed her racket. Trailing 5-1, Williams won three straight games and held two break points on Azarenka’s serve in the last game. But Williams ended the match with three straight errors. It was Azarenka’s first victory over the top-ranked Williams since the Cincinnati final in August 2013. She will move up seven spots to No. 8 in the WTA Tour rankings today. Azarenka, who won here in 2012, hit just 10 winners and had 20 unforced errors in the two-hour match. She connected on 60 per cent of her first serves and broke Williams’ serve three times. Williams converted just one of 12 break chances. Williams was back at Indian Wells after ending her 14-year boycott last year, and the crowd, including Queen Latifah, was eager to support her. One fan held up a sign reading, “Go Serena. We straight outta Compton,” in a nod to the gang-infested Los Angeles suburb where the Williams sisters learnt to play tennis. But there was none of Williams’ trademark fist-pumping and screams of “Come on!” She hit just 22 winners. Azarenka and Williams met for the 21st time in their careers, with Williams now owning a 17-4 edge. The only player she has faced more in her career is older sister Venus, who watched grim-faced from a box after losing early in her return to Indian Wells for the first time since 2001. Williams was warmly welcomed back last year only to withdraw with a knee injury before her semi-final. She got emotional while accepting the runner-up trophy, tears welling in her eyes, after tournament officials thanked her and Venus for ending their boycotts. “Thank you so much for the cheers,” Williams said. “I can’t tell you how much it means to me.” Azarenka was gracious in victory, thanking Williams for her hard work that motivated the Belarussian to raise her game. Williams playfully stuck out her tongue as she walked past Azarenka posing with the winner’s crystal trophy on her way off the court.
Progressive Youth Organisation (PYO) in offering its condolences on the passing of former parliamentarian and Region Two (Pomeroon-Supenaam) Chairman Alli Baksh, reflected on his life and contributions.Former Minister Alli Baksh“He was a mentor and exceptional example for young people in the Party. He played an integral role in nurturing and developing the careers of many leaders,” the PYO said in a statement on Friday.According to the PYO, Baksh’s loyalty, commitment, and selflessness in the struggles against “oppression, discrimination and dictatorship were most admirable. Comrade Alli was a wise counsel who was patient and attentive to the concerns of youths and these qualities made him an exceptional leader.”Representatives of the People’s Progressive Party (PPP) youth arm further noted, “Comrade Alli was a strong believer in young people and played particular emphasis on their involvement at all levels of leadership. To the end, he remained a guiding force and inspirational motivator to the PYO. He spoke with passion about the youth arm as he himself played a crucial and fundamental role is its early days.”Baksh was appointed Minister within the Agriculture Ministry after then President Donald Ramotar took office in 2011.Prior to that, Baksh took on the role of Region Two Chairman from 1992, and operated in that capacity for almost 20 years. Additionally, he also served as a Member of Parliament representing the PPP/Civic.Meanwhile, Women’s Progressive Organisation (WPO) leader Sheila Mathura stated on Friday that Baksh would “go down in history as the one who spearheaded the structural, social and economic developments on the Essequibo Coast”.Baksh will be laid to rest today in Essequibo.
Almost 6cm of snow fell in Fort St. John on Sunday. 5.7 cm of snow fell, beating the record set in 1970 of 5.3 cm. We also set a new low record temperature Sunday, at -3.3 degrees celsius. The old record from 1989 was -1.2 degrees celsius. On Monday there is still a chance of more flurries, but Environment Canada isn’t calling for any large accumulation. – Advertisement -Although other parts of the Peace are not as lucky, as there are a number of winter storm watches in effect for other regions of the Peace. In Dawson Creek and Chetwynd, Environment Canada says those regions could see up to 10 cm of snow tonight through Tuesday. In the Grande Prairie, Beaverlodge areas they could see upwards of 20 cm of snow by Tuesday. There are no current warnings or watches in effect for the Fort St. John or North Peace regions. Advertisement For current BC Road Conditions Click Here. For current Alberta Road Conditions Click Here.
Update – As of 3pm, highway 97 is now open in both directions. The RCMP have not released any information about the incident.Expect delays if you’re traveling to Chetwynd today.The Ministry of Transportation is reporting a serious vehicle incident approximately 15km north of highway 29 on highway 97.- Advertisement -Since early Saturday morning, the road has been reduced to single lane alternating traffic with up to 30 minute delays because of the vehicle incident.At this time, there is no word on when the road will be re-open in both directions.The RCMP have not released any information about the accident. If you have any information, please email firstname.lastname@example.orgAdvertisement
0Shares0000Harambee Stars winger Ovella Ochieng vies for the ball with Zanzibar’s Issa Hidari during a CECAFA Senior Challenge Cup match at the Kenyatta Stadium in Machakos on December 9, 2017. PHOTO/Raymond MakhayaMACHAKOS, Kenya, Dec 9- Kenya’s Harambee Stars are faced with a must win tie against Tanzania on Monday if they are to retain their hopes of making it into the semi-finals of the CECAFA Senior Challenge Cup after being held to a 0-0 draw by Zanzibar in Machakos on Saturday.Zanzibar became the first team to book a semi-final ticket after the draw. The result takes the islanders to seven points with one group match left, while Kenya remain second with five. Zanzibar tackle Libya in the final match with the North Africans also having an opportunity to progress to the semis. If they win against Zanzibar and Tanzania beats Kenya, then Libya and Zanzibar will progress to the last four while Kenya will be dumped out.It was another frustrating afternoon for head coach Paul Put whose boys failed to score for a second consecutive match. They have only scored one goal from open play in three matches, a huge concern for the Belgian tactician.Put made two changes to his squad, the injured Massoud Juma missing out and his place taken up by Kepha Aswani. Ovella Ochieng who came up in the second half against Libya on Thursday started ahead of Chris Oduor.The changes saw Kenya revert to the system it used against Rwanda playing with a target-man upfront supported by three men, two with speed out wide.The speed of Ochieng on the right and George ‘Blackberry’ Odhiambo on the left was the masterstroke Kenya needed to open up the Zanzibar defense.In the fifth minute, Stars had the first opportunity at goal when Wesley Onguso’s long throw from the left dropped down on Aswani’s feet, but the striker’s shot at goal was blocked for a corner.Harambee Stars winger Ovella Ochieng and defender Jockins Atudo fly in for a header during a CECAFA Senior Challenge Cup match against Zanzibar at the Kenyatta Stadium in Machakos on December 9, 2017. PHOTO/Raymond MakhayaKenya’s attack majored on the speed on the width and set pieces, of which throw-ins counted for much, Onguso’s prowess at swinging in the long throws exploited to the maximum. However, none of those could open up for a goal.In the 23rd minute Aswani came close again, this time rising in the midst of Zanzibar markers to head an Ovella corner, but the effort went over. Two minutes later, Jockins Atudo had a similar effort from a Patillah Omotto cross go over.As the game progressed, so did Zanzibar get into the match. Abdul Aziz Makame and Feisal Salum Abdallah’s partnership at the heart of midfield once again was Zanzibar’s key but the final ball when it mattered most never came through for them.In the 32nd minute, Aswani broke away to rush to an Omotto long pass, but he was pulled down with goal in sight at the edge of the box by Abdallah Salum Kheri.From the resultant set-piece, Omotto’s effort was saved by the keeper with the rebound falling on his path again, but his low shot hit the side-netting.0Shares0000(Visited 2 times, 1 visits today)
1 Leicester City are preparing a January move for Caen striker Andy Delort.The 24-year-old only joined the Ligue 1 side in the summer after a disappointing spell with Wigan Athletic.Delort joined the Latics for £3m in the summer of 2014, but he failed to settle and headed back to France after just 12 months.Since returning, the forward has been in fine form and he already has six league goals to his name this term.That, according to Foot 365, has attracted interest from Leicester and they are now ready to make a move during the January transfer window.Aston Villa and QPR are also said to be keen on the former France under-20 international. Andy Delort
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREStriving toward a more perfect me: Doug McIntyre “Our fear is that he still has access to women and may still be sexually assaulting additional women.” Gaspar fled with his wife and toddler son after paying $150,000 bail and might have connections from the Sacramento area to Arizona, Colorado and New Mexico, Toosbuy said. Police began investigating the former nurse after women alleged the assaults took place at the medical center’s Tarzana campus at 18321 Clark St., where he’d worked since 2004. Police declined to describe the nature of the assaults. Gaspar might still be working in the medical field, police said, or as a massage therapist. RESEDA – Police sought help today to nab a male nurse suspected of sexually assaulting at least 10 woman at Encino-Tarzana Regional Medical Center. Ramon Eduardo Rodas Gaspar, 39, of Canoga Park jumped bail in July 2006 after he was arrested on suspicion of sexually assaulting three women recovering in the hospital after surgery. Since then, the certified nursing assistant has been implicated in seven more assaults on patients between 29 and 64 years old. “These women were victimized shortly after surgery, post surgery,” said Los Angeles police Detective Ninette Toosbuy, during a news conference at West Valley Station. “They were slightly under the influence, so they were vulnerable. “I have every reason to believe there were more victims,” Toosbuy said. “I don’t plan on retiring until he’s in custody, I feel that strongly about it.” Anyone with information can call Toosbuy at 818-374-7724, or 877-LAW-FULL (529-3855) after hours. For the latest news and observations on crime in Los Angeles and the San Fernando Valley, check out the Daily News’ crime blog by clicking here.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
1 Brendan Rodgers started his reign as Celtic boss with defeat, as the Hoops lost 1-0 to Lincoln Red Imps in the first leg of their Champions League second qualifying round match.It was the meeting of the champions of Gibraltar vs the champions of Scotland and the return leg takes place next Wednesday.The Parkhead side laboured in the searing heat of the goalless first 45 minutes and were then stunned when Lee Casciaro, who had scored Gibraltar’s first international goal against Scotland at Hampden in 2015, sensationally put the part-timers ahead in the 47th minute.Hoops striker Leigh Griffiths hit the woodwork twice as the Scottish champions battled for their dignity, but, buoyed by their stunning breakthrough, the home side held out for a result which ranks as the most embarrassing in Celtic’s European history.The return game at Celtic Park next week should still be a formality, but Rodgers’ tenure has begun in the worst possible way. Brendan Rodgers lost his first competitive match as Celtic boss
CONGRATULATIONS to our club athletes who ran very well in the Omagh Half Marathon on Saturday. More than 2,000 people took part in the event.Patrick Brennan was the first Letterkenny man across the line in fourth place (1.09.35) followed by Gary Crossan (12th- 1.15.03)), Charlie Page (PB18th- 1.16.48), Seamus Greene (28th-1.19.35), Neil McCollum (116th-1.28.40), Noreen McGettigan (126-1.29.16), Ben Dunleavey (144-1:30:07), Monica McGranaghan (290-01:38:08) Margaret Shiels (647-1:52:28), Rohan Brophy (664-1:53:39) and Seamus Morrison (699- 1:55:00).Well done to all the participants. This weekend the focus switches to the National 10k Road Championship’s in The Phoenix Park in Dublin. Our club captain and vice captain are busy putting together a number of teams to take part in the prestigious event. The lotto numbers drawn at the weekend were: 9, 10, 19 and 21. There was one match three winner-Harry Blake. The jackpot this Saturday night in The Glencar Inn is €590.Preparations are continuing for the Easter 3 K and the North West 10k which take place on April 24 and May 2 respectively.LETTERKENNY AC NOTES was last modified: April 4th, 2011 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Letterkenny AC
AFTER the festive break it is back into action this weekend with the 5 mile race-fun run in Letterkenny and the Northern Ireland Cross Country Championship’s.Anybody going to race tomorrow ( Saturday) Jan 7th in Scotstown Co Monaghan in the Northern ireland XC, Junior(10k m 4k w) and Vet o35 (8k m 4k w) has to be entered. The five mile New Year race –fun run will take place on Sunday with registrations from 10am at Aura Leisure Centre.The race will start at 11.30 am and the course is out as far as New Mills and back in again, finishing at Aura. This should be a popular race-fun run and everyone is asked to come out in support. Entry is 8 euro and all are welcome. Congratulations to Noreen McGettigan and Adam Speer who were first female and male home in the run around Atlantic Drive on New Year’s Day. Noreen, is making great progress and should be one to watch again this year.The club would like to extend sympathy to the Friel family, Glencar on their recent bereavement. The lotto numbers drawn at the weekend were 3, 10, 20 and 24. There was won match three winner-Karen Moore. The jackpot this weekend in The Glencar Inn is €970. LETTERKENNY ATHLETIC CLUB NOTES was last modified: January 3rd, 2012 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Letterkenny Athletic Club notes