…company renegotiates oil exploration plan with GovtCanada-based oil and gas exploration company CGX has announced plans to conduct an offshore exploration whereby it will be drilling the Corentyne block by November 27, 2019 in search of oil.The company, which has had operations in Guyana for many years, made the announcement on Monday, stating that it has renegotiated its work plan with the Guyana Government.As part of the renegotiation, the company has also agreed to relinquish 25 per cent of the acreage of both the Corentyne and Demerara blocks to the Government of Guyana.The new work commitments include drilling and exploration wells (Corentyne Block) by November 27, 2022; and acquiring additional seismic data or conducting seismic reprocessing by November 27, 2020.Additionally, the company will also complete any additional data processing and planning, and secure all regulatory approvals for the drilling of an exploration well by February 12, 2020 (Demerara Block).In that same block, it will also drill an exploration well by February 12, 2021 and February 12, 2023.For the Berbice Block, CGX will complete a geochemical survey of a minimum area of 120 square kilometres and commence a seismic programme defined by the survey by February 12, 2020.It will also complete the seismic programme and complete all processing and interpretation of data by August 12, 2021, and drill an exploration well by February 12, 2023.Chairman and Executive Director (Guyana), Professor Suresh Narine commented: “CGX Energy thanks the Government of Guyana for its continued partnership and support; we as a company are eager to pursue the new work commitments in this exciting Guyana basin, and in so doing, continue our unbroken commitment to the basin, the Guyanese people and its Government for more than 18 years.”Earlier this year, CGX was borrowing monies from its shareholder to stay afloat, and indicated that future oil exploration offshore Guyana would depend on restructuring its debts to several companies. With the major oil find by ExxonMobil, CGX said it hoped that it would be able to conduct further exploration.The highly-indebted CGX Energy had suffered a delay in carrying out further exploration offshore Guyana and had hoped that Government would favourably consider its request for a new date.In May, CGX said it was negotiating with its trade creditors, including with respect to the approximately US$14.4 million owed to Japan Drilling Co Ltd, approximately US$9.5 million owed to Prospector PTE Ltd, and the approximately US$2.9 million owed to Teikoku Oil (Suriname) Co Ltd, all excluding interest, with a view to determining how to address these significant payables in light of depressed oil prices.Guyana-focused CGX has been licensed to drill on the Eagle block since 1998 when it was granted a 10-year permit. But the company became ensnared in a maritime border dispute between Guyana and Suriname, and watched as a rig it had contracted in 2000 was chased off the site it was preparing to drill by Suriname gunboats. The border dispute was settled in 2007.CGX drilled several wells offshore thereafter, but did not find oil in commercial quantities. It also attempted several wells onshore in Berbice.
0Shares0000Tottenham sacked Mauricio Pochettino after a poor start to the Premier League season © AFP/File / Ian KINGTONLONDON, United Kingdom, Dec 19 – Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy says sacking Mauricio Pochettino was the hardest managerial change he has had to make, opening the door to a return to the club for the Argentine one day.Levy fired Pochettino in November after a poor start to the season, less than six months after he led Spurs to the Champions League final. When asked whether it was the hardest managerial change he has had to make, Levy told London’s Evening Standard: “You have to understand I had built up a personal relationship with Mauricio over five-and-a-half years.“It is not something I ever wanted. Personally, it was incredibly difficult, I told him that and he understood.“He’s been in football (a long time), he understands. It’s not personal and I’m sure he’ll come back stronger and get an opportunity to manage another great club.”Asked whether Pochettino could return to the club in the future, Levy said: “Why not? I don’t close the door on anything.”While Arsenal and Everton have taken their time in their search for new managers, Levy moved on from Pochettino to Jose Mourinho in less than 12 hours.The Portuguese has turned the fortunes of the club around, lifting them to within three points of fourth-placed Chelsea, whom they meet on Sunday.Levy told the Standard he had only spoken to Mourinho directly for the first time this season.“Many years ago, I can’t remember exactly, we were linked with him,” Levy said. “But I’d never spoken to Jose. We never had a conversation.“And his availability was totally unrelated to Mauricio, not connected at all.“I can’t remember when I first spoke to Jose, but once I made the decision in my mind we had to make the change, although internally we knew of more than one candidate who would have been interested, Jose was absolutely number one.”0Shares0000(Visited 16 times, 2 visits today)
MONTREAL – Quebec must change its policy that systematically denies parents the right to accompany their children during urgent medical air evacuations, the Canadian and Quebec paediatric societies said Tuesday.The call by the child-advocacy groups follows a similar demand by three physicians who wrote to the Quebec government in December, urging the health minister to reconsider the policy they say disproportionately affects northern Inuit and First Nations communities.Remote northern areas often don’t have medical infrastructure to care for critically ill people, and as a consequence patients are transported to southern cities for services.Sending children, especially from First Nations communities, alone on medical flights can be traumatic, said Catherine Farrell, president-elect of the Canadian Paediatric society, in an interview.The reason parentless flights are especially damaging to native people is due to “intergenerational trauma from the forced removal of children during the residential school system and during the tuberculosis epidemic,” Farrell said.“(Children) suffer from the absence of their parent,” she added. “Not just during transport, but in the period following transport when we are taking charge of a patient’s care and making decisions without their parents being present.”Quebec is the only jurisdiction in the country that routinely denies parents the ability to fly with their sick kids, she said.The paediatric society is calling on the Quebec government to change its policy on air flights and to prioritize space on the plane for a parent or relative to accompany their child.“I think what we are looking at is rejigging the space (on the place) that’s required for one person to sit,” Farrell said. “I think it’s doable because in other provinces it’s completely doable.”In January, Quebec Health Minister Gaetan Barrette denied the policy is discriminatory toward Inuit and First Nations and noted the government picks up the bill to fly parents to be at their children’s bedsides.He said at the time Quebec’s air ambulances are designed to make multiple stops to pick up patients, which leads to a lack of space on the aircraft and added a plane’s medical equipment doesn’t leave much room for seats, and those need to be reserved for medical personnel.In response to the Canadian and Quebec paediatric societies call for change, a spokeswoman for Barrette said via email he was “reflecting” on the issue.Asked whether the government’s position had changed, spokeswoman Catherine Audet simply repeated her one-line response: “Our reflections continue on the subject.”Farrell said the costs associated with renovating the aircraft to allow room for parents would be defrayed by the savings in paying for commercial flights after their children arrive in hospital.“We will maintain pressure so that (the issue) really gets looked at by (Barrette),” she said. “So that at a minimum, changing the policy is top priority and then making the change a reality is the last step.”
Facebook THIS FALL, ELLE Canada HAS A BRAND-NEW WARDOROBE ! (CNW Group/TVA Group) TORONTO, Aug. 8, 2018 – Think of your new-look ELLE as you would a major update to your closet: There are some great new outfits, some classics with a twist and some daring party pieces. Everything fits perfectly and feels great to wear. And when you walk out the door, you feel inspired, empowered and ready to conquer the world. That’s the ELLE spirit, and you’ll find it on every page of ELLE Canada’s new-look September issue.Tracee Ellis Ross, of the primetime hit show Black-ish, is this month’s cover star—and a dream talent to help us launch our new look and the start of the fashion new year. In addition to our cover shoot and candid interview with the actress and style icon, this issue is overflowing with shopping and style advice, including the launch of our ELLE Guide. (This month’s topic: How to find your signature style, with expert advice from our editors.) Other highlights include the fall fashion and beauty trend reports, Saoirse Ronan and Lupita Nyong‘o in conversation and must-read features covering a range of subjects, from financial infidelity to luxe fall travel destinations.Canada’s #1 multi-platform fashion magazine brand has re-engineered its format, content pillars and marketing investment, providing ongoing commitment to Canadian audiences through delivering the highest-quality content. The new-look ELLE has been designed to function as an escape—it is elegant and modern while staying true to the aspirational and inclusive DNA of the ELLE brand, a recognized global brand with 46 editions worldwide. The new design further pushes our competitive advantage as a recognized luxury title with unparalleled access to celebrities, thought leaders and visionaries, all presented with the important Canadian perspective. And, thanks to the ELLE network, Elle Canada has the unique position to showcase Canadian talent globally with our fashion shoots and content through syndication in editions around the world. Advertisement Advertisement Login/Register With: LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment The investment in high-gloss paper stock, newsstand and subscription promotions, digital-content strategies and video production ensures marketers reach the ultimate influencers—over 1.7 million every month.The team is led by editor-in-chief Vanessa Craft. “September has always been a time of re-invention, inspiration and excitement, and I couldn’t be more thrilled to share our new look with readers. Our editorial approach, both in print and online, continues with the same mission: to offer inclusive, accessible and aspirational content that helps women explore and celebrate their own style while building an empowered, authentic life.”“TVA Publications is committed to providing our readers and our marketing partners access to Canada’s leading fashion, beauty, and luxury products through brands like ELLE. Our brand-new design and talented team continues to innovate across all our platforms” says Lyne Robitaille, Vice President, TVA Publications.The September issue of ELLE Canada, featuring Tracie Ellis Ross, is currently on newsstandsFollow ELLE Canada on social media:Facebook.com/ELLECanadaInstagram @ELLECanadaTwitter @ELLECanadaSnapchat @ELLECanadaSubscribe to the ELLE Canada YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/ELLECanadaComAbout TVA GROUPTVA Group Inc., a subsidiary of Quebecor Media Inc., is a communications company engaged in the broadcasting, film and audiovisual production, and magazine publishing industries. TVA Group Inc. is North America’s largest broadcaster of French-language entertainment, information and public affairs programming and one of the largest private-sector producers of French-language content. It is also the largest publisher of French-language magazines and publishes some of the most popular English-language titles in Canada. The Corporation’s Class B shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the ticker symbol TVA.B.Logo: ELLE Canada (CNW Group/TVA Group) Advertisement Twitter
Brandi Morin APTN National NewsThe United Nations is paying for the Assembly of First Nations (AFN) to attend one of the most anticipated environmental conferences in history.Through the UN Development Programme, National Chief Perry Bellegarde and AFN NWT Regional Chief Bill Erasmus are confirmed to attend the COP 21 gathering in Paris.For months the AFN has been preparing to contribute to international talks on climate change.According to a statement from the AFN, the organization has been involved in a number of activities leading up to COP21,“And we will be there (in Paris) to raise our voices to ensure there is a real commitment to action and an approach that protects our lands and respects our rights.”There are just 34 days left until the start of the gathering in Paris where world leaders will come together to develop a strategy to combat the threat of climate change.According to COP21 officials, “for the first time in over 20 years of UN negotiations, aim to achieve a legally binding and universal agreement on climate.”Last July the AFN adopted a resolution specifically referencing COP21 that called on Canada and Member States along with UN agencies, funds and programmes to support Indigenous representation in Paris.According to the Liberal party, Prime Minister-designate Justin Trudeau plans to invite Indigenous leaders to join the Canadian delegation to Paris, however it’s not clear when the invitation will be sent out or who will be invited.Canada is scrambling to develop a strategy of its own to participate in the event.Green Party Leader Elizabeth May told APTN National News that Canada is not ready.She said the former Harper Conservative government allowed the issue to fall on the back burner.May said the last draft she saw of Canada’s negotiations for Paris were “awful, weak and not nearly enough of anything to deliver what the world needs.”May flew to Ottawa last week for a meeting with Trudeau.He has since invited Canada’s premiers and environmental leaders to join the Canadian delegation going to Paris as well as committing to a meeting with provincial leaders within 90 days of the UN event to follow up.The new Liberal government has said it plans to begin working on building a nation to nation relationship with Canada’s First Nations as well as adopting the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples (UNDRIP).According to UNDRIP, industrial development activities that threaten the livelihood of Indigenous Peoples is a violation of Aboriginal and Treaty rights.Bellegarde said First Nations must be taken seriously on the issue of climate change.“First Nations must be part of dialogue and decision-making on climate change at all levels. Indigenous peoples are often the first to feel the effects of climate change and we have traditional knowledge that should inform the discussions and Indigenous rights must be respected in any plans and agreements.”firstname.lastname@example.org