Exclusive – Jurgen Klopp’s training regime questioned by former Liverpool manager

first_imgFormer Liverpool manager Roy Evans has questioned Jurgen Klopp’s training methods, believing his demands of intense play could be the cause of the Reds’ current injury crisis.Klopp now has TEN first team players on the sidelines after Philippe Coutinho and Dejan Lovren limped out of Tuesday’s 1-0 League Cup semi-final first leg win at Stoke City.What is even more worrying for the club is that the double blow takes their tally of hamstring problems up to at least five, with Martin Skrtel, Divock Origi and Jordan Rossiter also out with the same issue, while striker Daniel Sturridge is still rehabilitating from one.On his arrival as manager, Klopp insisted he would bring ‘full throttle football’ to Anfield.But ex-boss Evans believes the intensity of their daily training combined with the pace of the matchday play could be to blame for their injury woes.“The injuries are a massive worry,” Evans told the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast.“I wonder what kind of training Jurgen is doing in between matches. It seems like he is trying to do mini pre-seasons between games and if you’re playing at that intensity in games and then do heavy training sessions you’re going to end up with these muscle injuries.“They’ve got four or five hamstring injuries, so something is not right somewhere. You’ve got to look at what you’re doing at training and maybe be a bit more sensible.”Klopp admitted following Tuesday’s cup win that the Coutinho and Lovren blows may force him to spend over January, something he previously said he wanted to avoid.But Evans has urged the boss to use the opportunity to strengthen, especially with recent injuries leaving only Kolo Toure – who appeared to be struggling with cramp in the closing stages against Stoke – as Liverpool’s only remaining fit central defender.He added: “We’ve more or less run out of centre-backs now so I think Jurgen will be looking to do something in the window. If you need players, go and get them!”last_img read more

Besiktas make move for long-serving Liverpool star

first_img Liverpool midfielder Lucas Leiva Besiktas have made an offer to Liverpool midfielder Lucas Leiva, according to Turkish reports.The Brazilian is expected to end his 10-year stay at Anfield this summer, with a number of European clubs keen to offer him a contract.And, according to Fanatik, Besiktas have set the wheels in motion by offering the 30-year-old a deal.Lucas is reportedly demanding a salary of £4.2m per-season and the Turkish giants are willing to offer that amount, plus the added incentive of Champions League football.The midfielder is currently the longest-serving member of the Liverpool squad but is out of contract at the end of the season.His wage demands have put a number of clubs off, including those back home in Brazil, but Besiktas could well be Lucas’ next destination with the Turkish club keen on sealing the deal. 1last_img read more