Djokovic hopes to imitate take-a-break Federer

first_imgSerbian tennis player Novak Djokovic delivers a press conference in Belgrade on July 26, 2017.Twelve-time Grand Slam champion Novak Djokovic will miss the rest of the season with an elbow injury, he announced on July 26. AFPJuly 26, 2016: Roger Federer announces he is shutting down his season to rest a knee injury and will return in January 2017.July 26, 2017: Novak Djokovic announces he is shutting down his season to rest an elbow injury and will return in January 2018.ADVERTISEMENT ‘I’m out!’: PewDiePie releases last video before taking break from YouTube Kawhi Leonard, Clippers rally to beat Pelicans Commissioner Silver says Seattle a strong candidate for ‘inevitable’ NBA expansion Djokovic, 30, will eventually see his world ranking slip to around the 15 mark — his first trip outside the top 10 since March 2007.Federer, five years his senior, was 17 in the world when he won the Australian Open this year and is now back at three.So there is plenty of encouragement there for Djokovic who will be a dangerous last-16 opponent for one of his top rivals at the 2018 Australian Open where he has won six titles.“My body has its limits, and I have to respect that and be grateful for all that I have achieved so far,” said Djokovic, admitting that his on-court troubles are a brutal legacy of over-playing.When Federer called time on his 2016 campaign, he had played just 28 matches.ADVERTISEMENT Marcosian mode: Duterte threatens to arrest water execs ‘one night’ Same day of the year, similar injury-connected storyline — but identical outcome?Djokovic, struggling on and off for 18 months with a right elbow injury, and without adding to his 12 majors since completing the career Grand Slam at the 2016 French Open, announced Wednesday that he won’t play again in 2017.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSEnd of his agony? SC rules in favor of Espinosa, orders promoter heirs to pay boxing legendSPORTSRedemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie ThompsonSPORTSMayweather beats Pacquiao, Canelo for ‘Fighter of the Decade’It will rule him out of the US Open where he has twice been champion and made six of the last seven finals as well as Serbia’s Davis Cup semi-final against France.His absence from New York will be the first time he has missed a Slam since 2004, ending a run of 51 successive majors. When Federer skipped the 2016 French Open, it ended his majors streak at 65. OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ‘a duplicitous move’ – Lacson LATEST STORIES Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next But he doesn’t advocate lengthy breaks for all players.“Some players just need to play. They need to play every other day, otherwise they feel like they completely lose touch with the racquet and the ball, the body goes all funny on them,” said Federer.When Djokovic retired from his Wimbledon quarter-final against Tomas Berdych with the right elbow injury which has now ended his season, it completed a miserable year at the majors for the Serb.He was a second-round loser at the Australian Open and a quarter-finalist at Roland Garros.Former coach Boris Becker told Djokovic at Wimbledon that he needed to step back from the sport.“Federer is playing the best tennis ever at the age of 35 because he has got everything right in the rest of his life too,” said Becker.“Maybe that is a lesson for Andy and Novak to really take care of their bodies — take their time and get healthy, and don’t play when they can’t.”Djokovic has now heeded the German’s advice although he will still have his hands full with wife Jelena soon to give birth to the couple’s second child.“It is important for me to recover, to be able to play injury free for as long as possible, to compete in the sport that has given me so much, the sport I love,” said Djokovic. McGregor blasts Cerrone in 40 seconds in UFC return MOST READ While he rested up, Andy Murray and Djokovic battled over three continents for the world number one spot.British star Murray ended the year having fought through 87 matches while Djokovic played 74 times.In 2017, Federer has featured in just seven tournaments, winning the Australian Open, Indian Wells and Miami Masters, the Halle grass-court title and his record eighth Wimbledon.Lesson for DjokovicHis win loss-record for the year is currently 31-2.Federer also skipped the 10-week clay-court season which culminated in Rafael Nadal strolling to a 10th Roland Garros title.Murray, whose Wimbledon title defence ended in a quarter-final loss to Sam Querrey, has taken part in 11 events this year with a win-loss ratio of 25-10.The world number one is also carrying a hip injury which could yet see him also sit out the US Open.Djokovic has slugged through 12 tournaments, including two trips to the Davis Cup. He has 32 wins on the season and eight losses.Federer, who may play just one warm-up event before the US Open which he has won five times, believes his 2016 sabbatical has helped extend his career despite his 36th birthday fast approaching on August 8. Indian national gunned down in Camarines Sur LeBron James scores 31 points, Lakers beat Rockets 787 earthquakes recorded in 24 hours due to restive Taal Volcano Filipinos turn Taal Volcano ash, plastic trash into bricks PLAY LIST 01:40Filipinos turn Taal Volcano ash, plastic trash into bricks01:32Taal Volcano watch: Island fissures steaming, lake water receding02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite View comments Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. End of his agony? SC rules in favor of Espinosa, orders promoter heirs to pay boxing legendlast_img read more

Japan team at World Cup troubled by earthquake, hotel alarm

first_imgDon’t miss out on the latest news and information. MOST READ Winfrey details her decision to withdraw from Simmons film Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Sweden gets benefit of video review, beats South Korea 1-0 Volcano watch: Island fissures steaming, lake water receding LATEST STORIES Dave Chappelle donates P1 million to Taal relief operations DepEd’s Taal challenge: 30K students displaced Japan’s head coach Akira Nishino, left, and Japan’s Makoto Hasebe, right, attend the official press conference at the 2018 soccer World Cup at the Mordovia Arena in Saransk, Russia, Monday, June 18, 2018. (AP Photo/Eugene Hoshiko)SARANSK, Russia — Word of a deadly earthquake in Japan and an early-morning false alarm at a team hotel have given the country’s World Cup squad some unsettling moments.Coach Akira Nishino, who built his professional reputation coaching Gamba Osaka, said he and a number of his players have acquaintances or loved ones affected by Monday’s quake, making for an unwelcome distraction on the eve of the team’s Group H opener against Colombia in Saransk.ADVERTISEMENT China population now over 1.4 billion as birthrate falls Jury of 7 men, 5 women selected for Weinstein rape trial “The psychological impact is something I’m slightly worried about at this point,” Nishino said through an interpreter before Monday afternoon’s training session. “As staff members, we are consulting with them and I’d like them to be settled down as soon as possible.”Osaka is Japan’s second-largest city. The 6.1 magnitude earthquake killed at least three people — including a 9-year-old girl — and injured hundreds.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownMidfielder and captain Hasebe Makoto, speaking before his team’s Monday afternoon practice in Saransk, said that on behalf of the team, he “would like to extend heartfelt condolences to those who’ve been affected and I hope damage can be limited as much as possible and recovery is as fast as possible.”Makoto agreed that players with loved ones in the Osaka area “might have been negatively impacted” emotionally. Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew “We conducted a check yesterday and today, and he is actually listed up as part of our team, so I’d like you to be reassured,” Nishino said.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Steam emission over Taal’s main crater ‘steady’ for past 24 hours “The team as a whole would like to extend support, and I, as captain, would like to do that,” he said.Japan players with Osaka ties include goalkeeper Masaaki Higashigushi and midfielder Hotaru Yamaguchi, who play professionally in Osaka, while attacking midfielder Keisuke Honda was born in the area.Nishino said he and players found out about the earthquake shortly after it happened because an alarm went off at the team hotel in Saransk and blared for about 15 minutes around the same time as the earthquake struck.“The alarm continued for a while and there are some delicate, nervous players, and some of them looked a bit tired in the morning,” Nishino said. “So I assume there was some negative impact.”On the pitch, Japan welcomed Leicester City forward Shinji Okazaki back to training after he missed the past four days to rest a nagging calf injury.ADVERTISEMENT In fight vs corruption, Duterte now points to Ayala, MVP companies as ‘big fish’ View commentslast_img read more