OAKLAND – The shooting death of a 20-year-old man by a police officer is being decried by some in the community as murder after witness accounts of the incident conflicted with the department’s statement that the victim was reaching for a gun. Gary King Jr. was being questioned by Oakland police Sgt. Pat Gonzales on Thursday afternoon as a possible suspect in a murder, police said. Gonzales believed King resembled a witness’ description of the shooter in an Aug. 21 homicide. Gonzales, a 10-year police veteran who has been involved in two previous officer-involved shootings, said he felt a gun in King’s pants during a pat down, said Sgt. Michael Poirer. After King began struggling with Gonzales, the sergeant used a Taser in an unsuccessful attempt to stun him, police said. Poirer said Gonzales fired two shots at King because he believed King was reaching for a weapon. “After using several other measures, he was forced to use deadly force against Mr. King,” Poirer said. But some witnesses tell a different story. Ailene Romero, who saw the incident, never saw a gun and said King was gunned down as he was running away from Gonzales. “There were a lot of young people there, and people just started screaming,” Romero said. An impromptu memorial was set up by King’s friends with messages reading “The police did this” and “RIP G-Money.” 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppProvidenciales, TCI, September 14, 2016 – Here for island hopping Youth Empowerment Event, are NFL stars Matt Lawrence and Dwan Edwards.They will be in Grand Turk at HJ Robinson High TOMMOROW, and Friday visits to Long Bay High and Clement Howell High.Friday night they will be at Brayton Hall where ‘ALL’ youth and young adults are invited. FREE!!! Youth Evolution starts at 7PM. Related Items:nfl stars on island for youth empowerment event, youth empowerment event, Youth Evolution
Kasautii Zindagiii Kay 2 actress Erica FernandesinstagramErica Fernandes has emerged as one of the most sought after actresses of the telly world in recent times. While the actress enjoys a massive fan following, her fanbase multiplied two-fold after she played Prerna in Ekta Kapoor’s popular show Kasautii Zindagii Kay 2. Her striking chemistry with lead actor Parth Samthaan aka Anurag Basu is another factor for the show being loved by millions.Although Erica has a hectic work schedule, she recently managed to take some time out to shoot for another show. Yes, Erica will soon be seen in Colors’ show Khatra Khatra Khatra with Bharti Singh and Haarsh Limbachiyaa.Erica shot for the show on July 24 and will be seen performing fun tasks on the show, PinkVilla reported. She is one among the many celebrities who have appeared on Khatra Khatra Khatra.The gorgeous actress must have been paid a whopping amount to appear on Khatra Khatra Khatra given that Erica’s show runs on a rival channel.Earlier, Parth had participated in Colors Kitchen Champions and was rumoured to be the highest-paid celebrity contestant to appear on the show. Besides his crazy fan following, it was said that one of the primary reasons for the fat paycheque was apparently because Parth’s show airs on a rival channel.Meanwhile, angry fans of Kasautii Zindagii Kay 2 are blasting the makers for not uniting Prerna and Anurag. As per the recent development on the show, Prerna married Mr Bajaj (Karan Singh Grover), ditching her love Anurag. Such is the craze for Anurag and Prerna that fans started trending #WeWantAnuPreOnly on social media despite knowing that Mr Bajaj’s entry will change the equation between Anurag-Prerna. Kasautii Zindagii Kay 2 stars Erica Fernandes and Parth Samthaan in Switzerlandinstagram
Donald TrumpUS president Donald Trump on Saturday accused Barack Obama of “tapping” his phone during last year’s White House campaign, without providing evidence of the explosive charge, in his most virulent attack yet on his predecessor.“I’d bet a good lawyer could make a great case out of the fact that President Obama was tapping my phones in October, just prior to Election!” Trump wrote on Twitter.“How low has President Obama gone to tapp (sic) my phones during the very sacred election process. This is Nixon/Watergate. Bad (or sick) guy!” he wrote in another tweet, referring to the political scandal that toppled president Richard Nixon in 1974.Top Obama advisor Ben Rhodes issued a searing response on Twitter.“No President can order a wiretap. Those restrictions were put in place to protect citizens from people like you,” Rhodes wrote.A spokesman for Obama did not immediately respond to an email seeking comment.Trump leveled the charges in a flurry of tweets shortly after dawn, as his administration remains mired in controversy over communications between Russian officials and some of his senior aides, including Attorney General Jeff Sessions.Trump and Obama frequently traded barbs on the campaign trail, and the Republican real estate magnate was a driving force behind the so-called “birther” movement that questioned whether Obama was born on US soil and eligible to be president.The two men initially adopted a cordial tone as Trump took office, though the president has stepped up accusations against Obama in recent weeks, blaming his predecessor for being behind damaging leaks to journalists.‘Witch hunt’ -Since US intelligence took the unprecedented step of publicly accusing Russia of trying to swing the November election in Trump’s favor, questions have swirled about whether some in Trump’s campaign colluded with Moscow.A slew of associates, including Sessions and already fired national security advisor Michael Flynn met Russian Ambassador Sergey Kislyak before Trump took office.The businessman-turned-politician, who has accused his political foes of conducting “a total witch hunt,” on Saturday directed his Twitter tirade at his Democratic predecessor.“Terrible! Just found out that Obama had my ‘wires tapped’ in Trump Tower just before the victory. Nothing found,” Trump wrote a day after departing Washington for a weekend getaway at his Mar-a-Lago Florida resort for the fourth time in five weeks.The president compared the alleged action to Senator Joe McCarthy’s campaign in the 1950s to root out alleged Communists and sympathizers, which was marked by improper investigative techniques.“Is it legal for a sitting President to be ‘wire tapping’ a race for president prior to an election? Turned down by court earlier. A NEW LOW!” Trump said, again providing no proof of Obama’s efforts to seek a court order to spy on the then-candidate.Leaks -Trump delivered a well-received address to Congress late Wednesday, but the White House was plunged back into turmoil the following morning after it confirmed a news report that Sessions failed to disclose two meetings with ambassador Kislyak during last year’s election campaign.Trump has repeatedly denied having any personal ties to the Kremlin, and his aides have denied or downplayed contacts with Russian officials.But the accusations have continued amid almost daily leaks revealing new details about connections between Moscow and senior Trump officials.One such revelation in the Washington Post about a meeting between Sessions and Kislyak prompted the Republican former US senator to recuse himself from any investigations into the presidential election campaign.Sessions had told a Senate committee under oath that he “did not have communications with the Russians,” but reporters found that he had actually met the Russian ambassador twice in the months before taking up his post as attorney general, the top US law enforcement officer.Trump has expressed his displeasure over the charges and the leaks that led to them. On Friday he lashed out in tweets directed at the top Democrats in the Republican-led Congress, Senator Chuck Schumer and Representative Nancy Pelosi.
Jahangir Alam, a security guard of the RF Tower, has recounted how he survived the skyscraper fire.When the fire broke out, Jahangir was staying in his room on the 21-storey building’s rooftop.”After I came to know a fire had caught the building, I tried to come down using the stairs. When I reached the eighth floor, I felt scorching heat and returned to the rooftop.”He told Prothom Alo that he saved his life jumping to an adjacent building.”The fire may break out on the sixth or seventh floor. Later it swept across the eighth floor,” said Jahangir.He also said there were offices in almost every floor of the building except two floors which house shops.Janhangir also said today (Thursday) is the last working day of the week and around 1,000 people work in any working day.At least 17 people were killed and dozens sustained injuries in the devastating fire that broke out at a multi-storey building at Kamal Ataturk Avenue in the capital’s Banani on Thursday.*This report, originally published in Prothom Alo, has been rewritten in English by Rabiul Islam