Minister Tweah Refutes Reports of ‘Beef’ with Shaw

first_imgFinance Minister Samuel D. Tweah: “Let our critics know that we’re roads to develop the country, but not to gain political plus.” The Minister of Finance, Samuel Tweah, has categorically rejected local media reports that the Special Advisor to President George Weah, Emmanuel Shaw, has called for his resignation, but did not say why he should resign.Speaking to the Daily Observer yesterday, Thursday, July 19, on current developments in the country, Minister Tweah said the information carried in a local daily recently is false and misleading.“Shaw and I are on good terms and there’s nothing suggesting that we have a conflict for which he intends calling for my resignation,” Minister Tweah told the Daily Observer.He said on Wednesday of this week, he and Shaw met and discussed a number of issues appertaining to the forward march of President Weah’s pro-poor agenda.The media report claiming that both men were at loggerheads disclosed that Minister Tweah has been the one leading the government delegation to Singapore to negotiate the loan deal with ETON Finance Private Limited, which Shaw has distanced himself from. However Minister Tweah completely dismissed the reports, terming them as false.Meanwhile, Finance Minister Tweah, reacting to suggestions that the Eton and EBOMAF loan arrangements have fizzled out, dismissed such claims, adding that the matter is under consideration and is being finalized but did not say when it will finally be concluded.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

GECOM places onus on PPP to check 20,000 unverified registrants

first_imgH2H Registration data…will impugn integrity of OLE, elections – former AGDespite discovering significant inaccuracies in the House-to-House (H2H) data that was cross-matched overseas, the Guyana Elections Commission (GECOM) will be moving ahead with including some 20,000 names onto the voters’ list without verifying them. However, the Commission has now placed the onus on the Opposition – People’s Progressive Party – to verify the new registrants.GECOM Chair Retired Justice Claudette SinghSome 370,000 registrations obtained during the scrapped H2H exercise were sent overseas to be cross-matched with the National Register of Registrants Database (NRRD) in order to filter out the duplicates.However, it was recently reported that international digital security company, Gemalto, indicated that some 37,300 were new registrants who are eligible for voting, that is, they are above the age of 18.But an internal check conducted by GECOM showed that approximately 17,000 of those “new registrants” were already on the voters’ list and some even voted in the past.The remaining 20,000 “new names” were up for further verification. Earlier this week, it was reported that the Government-nominated Commissioners were pushing to have a sample survey done from a sample size of 10 per cent from the 20,000 to verify these new names before they go on the voters’ list – a process which the PPP Opposition had objected to.Former Attorney General Anil NandlallIn a statement on Friday, PPP Executive and former Attorney General Anil Nandlall indicated that the Elections Commission will not be verifying the names.“Today (Friday), GECOM has decided that it will do no verification; that the PPP scrutineers alone will have to do the field verification checks in respect of these new intended registrants and that GECOM officials will only work in the offices. This is totally unacceptable,” Nandlall contended.He noted that this decision by the Commission can only be viewed as retrograde and has the potential of impugning the integrity of the Official List of Electors (OLE) and by extension, the entire General and Regional Elections set for March 2, 2020.“I can understand why the Government Commissioners may not want a 100% verification exercise, because if this data is padded and fraudulent then the verification exercise will unmask it. However, the law mandates that not a single name must eventuate unto the OLE without verification. GECOM has an unconditional duty to ensure compliance with this legal requirement. Nothing short will suffice,” the former Attorney General asserted.On August 27, GECOM announced that the controversial house-to-house registration process would be halted on August 31.last_img read more