BRIDGETOWN, Barbados (CMC):Phil Simmons was yesterday suspended as West Indies head coach for criticising the selection process regarding the one-day team for the upcoming tour of Sri Lanka.The Trinidadian, only appointed six months ago, made the shocking move of slamming the omission of Kieron Pollard and Dwayne Bravo from the yet-to-be announced ODI squad, claiming there had been “outside interference” in the selection process.In a statement, the West Indies Cricket Board said it had “learnt of the comments from head coach of the West Indies team Phil Simmons in the print and electronic media which appear to question the legitimacy of the selection process of the one-day international squad for the tour of Sri Lanka”.”As a result, the management of the WICB has taken action to suspend the head coach, pending an investigation into the issue,” the release said.”The head coach will not now travel with the team on the tour of Sri Lanka.”Ironically, one group of West Indies players were scheduled to leave here yesterday for the Test tour of Sri Lanka, with the second group set to depart today.Eldine Baptiste, who was expected to be the ‘selector on tour’, will now replace Simmons for the two-Test series which will be followed by the one-day series.In a media conference at the conclusion of the team-preparation camp last Friday, Simmons took the unusual step of accusing “people” of using their “influence” to determine squad selection.”I think it’s disappointing from the fact that I haven’t got the best 50-over ODI squad that we can select in the Caribbean,” Simmons said.”The chairman, Mr (Clive) Lloyd, he came and he gave an exceptional speech, saying that he thinks it is time they (Bravo and Pollard) are back in the squad, and he gave exceptional reasons for them being back in the squad.No success in meeting”Unfortunately, when we went into the selection [meeting], we lost it 3-2. Him and myself – the captain (Jason Holder) doesn’t have a vote in this – but the captain also gave his views as why they need to be back.”He added: “That’s not the disappointing fact. The disappointing fact is that you can lose 3-2 in a vote-off, but there is too much interference from outside in the selection of the ODI squad, and it’s disappointing for me to know that in any aspect of life … [people would use] their position to get people into a squad, or in this case, get people left out of a squad.”It is wrong, and I don’t like it, and that is my beef with the selection of the ODI team.”Simmons was appointed last March following the ICC Cricket World Cup in Australia and New Zealand, and has overseen home series against England and Australia.West Indies drew the three-Test series against England, 1-1, but lost the two-Test series to Australia, 2-0.Simmons, 52, is a former West Indies cricketer, who played 26 Tests and 143 ODIs between 1987 and 1999.
IN DEMAND targets Fulham have beaten a host of top European clubs to sign Nice midfielder Jean-Michael Seri, according to reports.The 26-year-old has been linked with moves for Arsenal, Chelsea and West Ham United in this summer transfer window. Man United joined by three other clubs in race for Erling Haaland The biggest market value losers in 2019, including Bale and ex-Liverpool star Arsenal transfer news LIVE: Ndidi bid, targets named, Ozil is ‘skiving little git’ Cavani ‘agrees’ to join new club and will complete free transfer next summer #Seri from @ogcnice to @FulhamFC: deal done ✅ @SkySport @SkySportsNews— Gianluca Di Marzio (@DiMarzio) July 10, 2018After attracting interest from Barcelona in the summer of 2017, Seri opted to stay in Ligue 1 for another season.However, it became more and more apparent a move would materialise, with London quite clearly his preferred destination.According to Di Marzio, the 26-year-old is awaiting a work visa and will arrive in England on either Tuesday or Wednesday to iron out the move. Kevin De Bruyne ‘loves Man City and wants to keep winning’, reveals father LATEST moving on LIVING THE DREAM Latest Transfer stories from talkSPORT.ocm 1 The midfielder has attracted the attention of some of Europe’s biggest clubs in recent years Where every Premier League club needs to strengthen in January targets Tony Cascarino backs Everton to sign two strikers for Carlo Ancelotti REVEALED RANKED However, the Ivory Coast international now appears to be heading to the Cottagers.According to Italian journalist Gianluca Di Marzio, a deal has been agreed between the two sides worth €20 million. Top nine Premier League free transfers of the decade