45 Hill Avenue, Burleigh HeadsIt’s been compared to a spaceship, and this Burleigh Heads property has certainly stunned locals and visitors with its out-of-this-world appearance since it was unveiled earlier this year. Need space? This floating home is located at 45 Hill Ave, Burleigh Heads.Cleverly designed to seemingly float out of the cliff, the “dream” property was built for Rosetta Naumoski, who bought the 405sq m block for $879,000.“I saw the block 18 months ago when I was hunting for a place to build my dream home,” the mother-of-two told the Gold Coast Bulletin when she showcased the property in August.More from news02:37Purchasers snap up every residence in the $40 million Siarn Palm Beach North2 hours ago02:37International architect Desmond Brooks selling luxury beach villa22 hours agoHomeowner Rose Naumoski showed off her Burleigh Heads home. Picture Glenn Hampson Homeowner Rose Naumoski at her spectacular Burleigh Heads home with builder Nick McDonald in August. Picture Glenn HampsonArchitect Paul Uhlmann designed the three-level home.“We are very used to working with difficult aspect blocks but this block in particular was by far a challenge because it is the narrowest and the street was tight,” he said at the time.The timber property has ocean views from every level, and a special feature on each deck including a firepit, outdoor tub and pool. The three storey house is set on stilts.The narrow block was previously home to a blue fibro shack; it took eight months for Gold Coast builder Nick McDonald’s team to construct the palatial stilt structure in its place. Timber, bright spaces and lighting features extensively throughout. Each deck has a special feature, such as this firepit.Ed Cherry of Sophie Carter Exclusive Properties is marketing the property.Expressions of interest close on December 1. The sale price is up in the air. Expressions of interest close soon.
Stuff.co 26 October 2013A 9-year-old’s comment about how “cool” it was to be on a benefit has changed a Huntly woman’s life.Until six months ago, Judy Wilson was one of about 80,000 sole parents in New Zealand receiving a benefit.She was devoted to raising her six children but, in her own words, she was also drinking, smoking, and not doing “anything”.And she had been for close to 20 years.“It was my nine-year-old that said, ‘It’s cool being on the benefit because you’ve been on it for so long, eh, mum. I’m going to go on the benefit too’.”Wilson, 43, said she was “shocked” to think her circumstances would have such influence on her daughter, and the comments jolted her into action.She started a six-week course at WINZ in order to pick up new skills and followed it up with another, more specific course, in caregiver training for about eight weeks.http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/9329346/Daughters-words-motivate-mum-to-get-off-benefits
RelatedPosts Arsenal sign Brazil winger Willian on three-year contract Liverpool can claim title with help from Man City’s opponents Liverpool mayor says Everton FC should host Merseyside derby Everton lifted themselves out of the Premier League relegation zone on Saturday with a surprise 3-1 home win over Chelsea. Following Marco Silva’s dismissal as head coach this week, Richarlison handed caretaker manager and former Everton player Duncan Ferguson a dream start by finding the net on five minutes, flicking a header past Kepa Arrizabalaga from a Djibril Sidibe cross. The Toffees doubled their lead through Dominic Calvert-Lewin four minutes into the second half, but Chelsea were quick to respond as Mateo Kovacic netted a precise volley three minutes later to bring the visitors back into the game. Calvert-Lewin stabbed home his second and his team’s third with seven minutes remaining, however, to secure all three points and snap Everton’s three-match losing streak. The win saw the home side rise to 14th in the table ahead of the rest of the weekend’s fixtures. Ferguson could barely hide his emotion throughout the match, sprinting down the sideline and hugging ball boys in celebration of Calvert-Lewin’s brace – the striker’s first in the Premier League. Meanwhile, the result marked a second defeat in seven days for Chelsea, whose victory against Aston Villa on Wednesday followed last weekend’s loss to West Ham at Stamford Bridge. Chelsea’s afternoon was summed up when United States men’s international Christian Pulisic – who cut a frustrated figure on numerous occasions during the game — was penalised for a foul throw in added time of the second half. Chelsea next face Lille in the Champions League group stage on Tuesday and need a win to have a chance of progressing to the knockout phase of the competition.Tags: Chelsea FCeverton fc
…It was on July 26 in 1997 that Ricky Ponting completed his first Test century, on his Ashes debut no less, in the fourth Test at Headingley, LeedsBy Adam BurnettON the 1997 Ashes tour, Australia were in the middle of perhaps their most dominant period in history against their oldest foe, and is if things couldn’t get more one-sided, they were about to unleash a hugely promising young batsman named Ricky Ponting for the first time in cricket’s greatest rivalry. Mark Taylor’s side had levelled the six-Test series after a shock defeat in the series opener at Edgbaston, with Steve Waugh’s epic twin tons at Old Trafford in the third Test putting the ledger at one-all.So the two teams travelled to Leeds with the Ashes very much alive, and it was there that Ponting, who had played six Tests previously but had been unceremoniously dumped the summer prior, made his re-selection count.“That was vital for me,” Ponting said of his Ashes debut hundred at Headingley. “I got picked on the Ashes tour, only in the touring squad, but I didn’t play the first three Tests of that series and came in for the fourth, in Michael Bevan’s spot.”Australia rolled England for 172 after a fired-up Jason Gillespie took 7-37, but Taylor’s men stumbled in reply, collapsing to 4-50.Ponting strode to the middle, where he was greeted by another emerging talent, Matthew Elliott (199), and together the pair turned the contest on its head.Ponting’s maiden Test century on Ashes debutBy stumps on day two, Ponting had raced to 86 not out, unfurling the full arsenal of stroke-play he would become renowned for, including a couple of signature shots.“I was also lucky in that I’m not sure the Poms were too thorough when they did their homework on me,” Ponting wrote in his book, At the Close of Play. “The ball was seaming about but they seemed keen to test me out with some short stuff and I relished the chance to show them I could hook and pull.“To get off the mark, I pulled a bumper from (Dean) Headley which rocketed to the boundary and the confidence that one shot gave me was liberating.”And it was on July 26, 1997, that Ponting nudged the off-spin of Robert Croft into the leg side for the single that brought up his maiden Test hundred. It was the beginning of a legend; over the ensuing 15 years, the Tasmanian would add another 40 hundreds to his name, though he reckons few were better than his first-up 127.“That day I probably played as well as I have in any Test innings, and that made it even more pleasing,” Ponting said.“That’d be as close as any (to my best).“I remember that day, just really being on top of things and feeling really at home at the crease.“The ones that actually mean the most to you are probably the ones that you think you played better in anyway, so the first one is always going to be remembered a bit more but I just thought I played really well.”It also helped that Australia won the Test match to go 2-1 up in the series, a lead they never relinquished as they secured the Ashes for a fifth straight time. (Cricket.com.au)
The continent of Europe is expected today to observe a minute silence at 11:00 a.m. GMT as a mark of solidarity with the government and people of France, following terrorist attacks against innocent civilians on Friday night in Paris, the nation’s capital. The barbaric attacks, which killed at least 129 persons, injured more than 350 others with 99 on critical list, occurred on the night of Friday, November 13, in Paris.According to French security, eight gunmen carried out the attacks in a series of suicide bomb explosions and shootings at six locations around Paris. The Bataclan Theatre, the venue of a concert that evening, had the most casualties – nearly 90 – among the locations attacked. The terrorist group Islamic State (IS) claimed responsibility the following morning for the attacks, as retaliation for air strikes carried in IS strongholds in Syria by French forces. However, French President François Hollande has vowed to “ruthlessly deal with” those responsible. The French Embassy in Liberia is flying its national flag at half mast. In a message to her French counterpart on behalf of Liberia, President Sirleaf extended deepest condolences to Mr. Hollande, and through him, to the government and people of France, particularly the bereaved families, for the irreparable loss sustained as a result of the tragic attacks. “During this difficult period, I wish to, on behalf of the government and people of Liberia and in my own name, convey deepest condolences to you personally, the people of France, particularly, families of the victims,” she said.The President noted that the people of Liberia are very saddened by the outrageously gruesome events leading to the deaths of dozens of peaceful French residents and other nationals.She further assured her French counterpart of her fullest support and solidarity as he and the people of France go through this period of national mourning.President Sirleaf then prayed that the Almighty God will grant President Hollande strength and courage as he leads the French people through this difficult period of national tragedy. Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)