2 in Jail over Minister Sandolo’s ‘Assassination Plot’

first_imgTwo of the five persons arrested in connection with an alleged plot to assassinate Mr. Patrick Sandolo, Minister of Lands, Mines and Energy (LME) at his Todee farm are yet to appear in court. The two are currently in detention at the Monrovia Central Prison, nearly three months after they were charged by the Liberia National Police (LNP).Police charged the defendants based on a complaint from one Alvin Nelson, who is believed to be the caretaker of the Minister’s farm, a court document in the possession of the Daily Observer said.Though Minister Sandolo was not at the farm when the incident took place on July 24, the defendants are being charged with multiple crimes, including criminal conspiracy, armed robbery, theft of property, burglary, criminal mischief and criminal attempt to commit murder, which under the law is a non bailable offence.Defendants Anthony Mulbah along with Arthur Gono, Alex Gbato, Kpannah Tosh and Abraham Kollie were arrested by police due to a writ of arrest issued by Francis K. Fayiah, stipendiary magistrate of the Careysburg Magisterial Court, in Montserrado County, where the alleged offenses were committed.Alex Gbato and Abraham Kollie are the two persons currently detained at the Monrovia Central Prison awaiting trial, while the other three have been released.Mr. Dominic Kollie, the father of one of the defendants, Abraham Kollie, who spoke with journalists at the Temple of Justice, tearfully explained, “My son has been in jail since July 26 on multiple crimes and he still has not had a court date set. I have talked to the Magisterial Court and still have not had a court date set.“Is there any length of time that he can be held without a court date?“I am afraid that he is lost in the system. I tried calling Minister Sandolo, (but he) referred me to the court. I am getting nowhere fast. And they are still behind bars at the Central Prison.”He also used the occasion to appeal for government’s intervention to have them go to court.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Messi, Ronaldo World Cup exits signal changing of the guard

first_imgThat took his goal tally for the tournament to three — two behind England talisman Harry Kane and one behind Belgium’s Romelu Lukaku.Messi and Ronaldo, captain of the Portugal side beaten 2-1 by Uruguay, also on Saturday, had been on a quarter-final collision course but the closest they will now come to each other in Russia is the airport departure lounge.While they have set goal records tumbling both in Europe and Spain year after year, amazingly neither has ever been able to find the net in a World Cup knockout match in a combined 14 games.For all Messi’s brilliance at club level with Barcelona, it appears the 2014 final defeat to Germany is the closest he will ever come to winning the World Cup.Real Madrid forward Ronaldo, a European champion with Portugal two years ago, will be 37 by the time the next global showpiece rolls around — meaning it is unlikely he will improve on a run to the semi-finals in 2006.– Mbappe leads the charge –With the exits of the pair, both five-time world players of the year, confirmed on the same day, the stage is clear for a handful of young, hungry pretenders to seize the spotlight.France forward Kylian Mbappe celebrates his second goal against Argentina © AFP / Luis AcostaLeading the charge is the 19-year-old Mbappe, who achieved a feat no player had accomplished in 60 years, becoming the first teenager to score twice in a World Cup match since a 17-year-old Pele in 1958.“I’m very happy, and it’s flattering to be compared to a great player like Pele,” said Mbappe, born a few months after France won the 1998 World Cup.“But he’s in another category. Still, it’s great to join the list of players that have achieved such feats.”The Paris Saint-Germain striker, who as a child had posters of Ronaldo plastered across his bedroom wall, has three goals in three starts in Russia.He finds himself trailing England striker Kane in the race for the Golden Boot, but his terrorising of the Argentina defence underlined his growing menace. He’s not so much as arriving as arrived.After four straight seasons with 20 or more goals in the Premier League, Kane is now demonstrating his ability on the biggest stage of all, leading England’s attack and captaining the side.England forward Harry Kane is leading the race for the World Cup’s Golden Boot © AFP / Martin BERNETTIHe struck twice in an opening win over Tunisia before bagging a hat-trick in his next outing and is the key figure for a youthful England side.“It’s going well, there’s still a long way to go, the most important thing is winning games,” said the 24-year-old Tottenham star.Colombia midfielder Carlos Sanchez described Kane as an “emblematic player” ahead of their meeting with England in the last 16 on Tuesday.Belgium’s Romelu Lukaku is also enjoying a breakout World Cup campaign, answering his critics in resounding style after a disappointing campaign in Brazil four years ago.The 25-year-old scored twice in successive matches in Group G, the first player from any nation to do so at the tournament since Diego Maradona in 1986.He is Belgium’s record scorer with 40 goals in 71 appearances and will be central to their hopes as Roberto Martinez attempts to finally get the best out of a golden generation.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Lionel Messi (left) and Cristiano Ronaldo are heading home from the World Cup in Russia © AFP / Roman KRUCHININ, Adrian DENNISMOSCOW, Russian Federation, Jul 1 – Step aside Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo… there is a new group of kids on the block ready to seize the limelight and form the next generation of global megastars.French teenager Kylian Mbappe announced himself in dramatic fashion on Saturday, overshadowing Messi as France beat Argentina 4-3 in the World Cup last 16.last_img read more