The Odisha government on Tuesday decided to celebrate the 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi for two years from October 2 this year. The decision was taken at a meeting chaired by Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik at the Secretariat here. He said people belonging to all sections of society will be involved in the anniversary celebrations in the State.Observing that Mahatma Gandhi wanted to develop society on the principles of truth and non-violence, Mr. Patnaik said that he had proposed to include ‘Ahimsa’ in the preamble of the Constitution.Leader of the Opposition in the Assembly Narasingha Mishra, former Chief Minister Giridhar Gamang, Culture Minister Ashok Chandra Panda, Gandhian leader Bhabani Charan Patnaik and several MPs and legislators also attended the meeting.Mr. Panda informed that five sub-committees have been constituted for the celebration of the anniversary in a grand manner. Padayatras and memorial meetings will be held across the State during the two-year period, he added.The Minister said that Gandhiji’s birth anniversary would be celebrated in schools, colleges, urban local bodies, blocks and gram panchayats. A new website will be opened to propagate the messages of Gandhiji.In order to commemorating Mahatma Gandhi’s visit to Cuttack, a function will be organised in the city on March 23 next year, Mr. Panda said.Statues of Mahatma Gandhi will be erected at all district headquarters and one major road at the places Gandhiji visited will also be named after him. Gandhiji had visited Odisha eight times and toured different parts of the State.The Odisha government is also considering convening a special session of the Assembly in 2019.
Minnesota coach Jerry Kill has been released from the hospital after suffering a seizure late Saturday afternoon.The school confirmed Kill’s release Sunday. Gophers defensive coordinator Tracy Claeys told local reporters Sunday that Kill’s seizure was minor and that the coach could return to the team as early as Sunday afternoon.Kill was taken to the hospital Saturday as a precaution and was reported to be resting comfortably by Saturday night.Kill, 51, has had seizure disorder since being diagnosed with kidney cancer in 2005. He suffered a more severe seizure on the sideline during a game last September and had to be hospitalized for several days.That hasn’t stopped Kill in the past from getting right back out there.“What the hell am I supposed to do? Stop? I mean, sit in the chair and wait for the next dang seizure to come along?” Kill said last year.It’s the latest bit of adversity for the Gophers, who started the season 4-0 to generate optimism among the program’s long-suffering fans that a bowl game could be had.But they were thumped 31-13 at Iowa in the Big Ten opener, then delivered a sloppy and mistake-filled performance in the loss to the Wildcats on Saturday to fall to 0-2 in the conference.
Related Items: Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp#TurksandCaicos, January 18, 2018 – Providenciales – The Ministry of Health, Agriculture and Human Services welcomes Dr. Armando Sardi to the TCI this week. Dr. Sardi is the Medical Director of the Institute for Cancer Care in Baltimore, Maryland and a renowned Surgical Oncologist. Dr Sardi will be visiting the TCI between 17th-21st January 2018, during which time he will meet with a variety of stakeholders including; Ministry of Health personnel, TCI Hospital, NHIP, Turks and Caicos Medical Association in addition to the Cancer Society and Foundation. Dr Sardi will also engage with the Premier, Hon. Sharlene Cartwright-Robinson and the Minister of Health, Agriculture and Human Services to discuss the issue of cancer in the TCI.The government shares the concerns of the general public in relation to the number of cases of cancer being diagnosed in the TCI. Globally cancer is the second leading cause of death with nearly one in six deaths worldwide attributed to cancer. The incidence of cancer is expected to rise by 70% over the next twenty years. Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp According to the World Health Organization (WHO) around one third of deaths from cancer are due to the 5 leading behavioral and dietary risks: high body mass index, low fruit and vegetable intake, lack of physical activity, tobacco use, and alcohol use. These risks are modifiable.Tobacco use is the most important risk factor for cancer and is responsible for approximately 22% of cancer deaths.Late-stage presentation and inaccessible diagnosis and treatment are common in some lower and middle income countries.The economic impact of cancer is significant and is increasing.Between 30–50% of cancers can currently be prevented. This can be accomplished by avoiding risk factors through lifestyle changes. The cancer burden can also be reduced through early detection of cancer and management of patients who develop cancer. Many cancers have a high chance of cure if diagnosed early and treated adequately. Modifying or avoiding key risk factors can significantly reduce the burden of cancer. These risk factors can be addressed by:Avoiding the use of tobacco containing productsMaintaining a healthy weightEating a healthy diet with a variety of fruit and vegetablesEngaging in regular physical activity at least three times a weekReducing alcohol use Tobacco use is the single most important risk factor for cancer and is responsible for approximately 22% of cancer-related deaths globally. The Ministry of Health has taken a number of steps to address cancer in the TCI including the following;Development and implementation of a Non-communicable disease action planPromoting healthy lifestyles through various media and activities to educate the general public about steps they can take to live healthier livesDevelopment of National Cancer Screening GuidelinesDeveloped the Tobacco Control Bill which was approved in 2016Developed a Nutrition Policy which will address risk factors associated with diet.The Ministry of Health Agriculture and Human Services looks forward to engaging with Dr. Sardi and local stakeholders in reviewing existing and developing additional strategies and interventions targeted at reducing the burden of cancer in the Turks and Caicos.For further information, please contact the Health Promotion and Advocacy Unit on 338 2771.Press Release: TCIG
The Indian Navy is finally set to open price negotiations with Sikorsky Aircraft Corporation for buying 24 Seahawk S-70B shipboard multi-role helicopters (MRHs) for its operational requirements.Indian Ministry of Defence (MoD) sources told India Strategic defence magazine that although the helicopters were selected in December 2014, there were some issues over cost escalations due to the delay in the procurement process, and the Connecticut, US-based company’s insistence that it could not hold the prices it had offered in 2008. Recently, however, Sikorsky had relented and its team is due to be invited soon for an early conclusion of the price negotiations.The subject is also likely to be on the agenda during Defence Minister Manohar Parikkar’s visit to Washington on December 9-10.Notably, the Indian Navy had invited bids in 2008 from Sikorsky for S-70B and European NH Industries (NHI) for NH 90. There was some hesitation in opening the latter’s bid, as Finmeccanina, which got embroiled in controversy over the acquisition of VVIP helicopters for the Indian Air Force (IAF), is a major partner in this European consortium.Sikorsky accordingly had a walkover, but it asked for revision in prices as the selection process had taken more than twice the stipulated timeline and the delivery, in any case, has to be three years after the price negotiations conclude and a contract is signed. That is roughly 10 years after its offer was submitted.Somehow, the MoD repeatedly sought extensions of Sikorsky’s bid, delaying the acquisition process timelines from less than three years to six. Nonetheless, it said there was no provision for cost escalation during the selection and negotiation process.Meanwhile, in another development, Sikorsky has been acquired by Lockheed Martin (LM) from United Technologies Corporation (UTC). After the completion of the merger process in early November, Sikorsky was shown for the first time as a Lockheed Martin company at the Dubai Airshow on November 8.As for the current status in negotiations with the Indian Navy, the chief of the naval staff, Admiral Robin Dhowan, when asked about the Seahawks, replied that the process was now in an “advanced stage”.Notably, the tender, or Request for Proposals (RfP), had sought 16 helicopters with an option for eight more. But Admiral Dhowan had told India Strategic earlier that as the navy was short of these machines, the deal could be for all the 24 machines.It may be recalled that the navy had originally planned to acquire 54 MRHs, and 16 of these should have come in 2007 as replacement for the first lot of quarter-century-old British Westland Sea Kings. More were to follow progressively. This has not happened, and the Sikorsky Seahawks are likely to start arriving only from 2019, more than a decade late.The Sikorsky deal is estimated to be around $1 billion-plus for 16 helicopters but there is no official word yet on prices from either side.Weapons and sensors will be extra – possibly from other companies but Sikorsky will integrate them in accordance with the contract. The weapon suite will have the capability to deal with both underwater (ASUW or anti-submarine warfare) and ASW (anti- surface-ship warfare). Among the suppliers for radars and weapons should be the US Raytheon and Telephonics as well as French Thales. The power plants (two engines per machine) will be from GE.It may be noted that the Indian Navy has substantial achievements to its credit for building ships indigenously, and with a three aircraft carrier policy, it will need several hundred helicopters for engaging threats and for ship to ship or ship to shore communications.
More information: code.google.com/p/flyspeck/wik … AnnouncingCompletionvia Newscientist This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only. Computer generated math proof is too large for humans to check It was back in 1611 that Johannes Kepler first suggested in a paper he’d written (after corresponding with Thomas Harriot) that if you want to stack cannon balls on a ship’s deck in the most efficient way possible (a question originally posed by Sir Walter Raleigh), the best way to do it is in a pyramid shape. Cut to 1998 when Hales completed work on his written proof (which included portions that could only be verified by computer). But it was huge, as many mathematical proofs tend to be—300 pages in all that took 12 reviewers four years to verify. A 99 percent certainty rating wasn’t enough for Hales, however, so he launched the Flyspeck Project to create a means for proving the proof correct using a computer.Hales and his team used two software tools that have been created for the sole purpose of verifying proofs—HOL Light and Isabelle—they work by checking the logic of statements made in the proof. Now after eleven years of work, the team has announced that they’ve succeeded in their endeavor. Hales’ original proof has been converted to code the computer can work with and the software checkers found no discrepancies, which means the proof of the conjecture has been verified.The success by the team highlights a growing movement of using computers to verify proofs that human beings have created giving the results more credence. Computers have also been used to construct original proofs for some basic problems, which suggests that someday in the not-too-distant future, computers will be doing all the heavy work, leaving mathematicians to ponder the deeper questions regarding what the proofs represent and how they can be used in real world applications. Citation: Team announces construction of a formal computer-verified proof of the Kepler conjecture (2014, August 13) retrieved 18 August 2019 from https://phys.org/news/2014-08-team-formal-computer-verified-proof-kepler.html (Phys.org) —A team of researchers led by the man, Thomas Hales, who came up with written proof of the Kepler conjecture is now reporting that they have constructed a formal proof of the conjecture, which implies the use of a computer. The announcement was made on The Flyspeck Project page, and puts to rest any doubts about the correctness of the proof done by Hales in 1998. Explore further © 2014 Phys.org One of the diagrams from Strena Seu de Nive Sexangula, illustrating the Kepler conjecture