Bentley Milloy clarify legislative record on release of Ontario gas plant documents

TORONTO — Senior Liberal cabinet ministers say they never intended to mislead the legislature by claiming all documents on cancelled power stations in Oakville and Mississauga had been released last month.Energy Minister Chris Bentley and Government House Leader John Milloy both rose before question period to correct the legislative record, after they insisted for weeks that all gas plant documents were released Sept. 24.As the opposition parties jeered, Bentley insisted there was no deliberate attempt to provide incorrect information to the legislature.Another 20,000 pages on the cancelled energy projects were released Friday, prompting PC Leader Tim Hudak to say Premier Dalton McGuinty “lied” to the legislature.Both the Conservative and NDP house leaders then asked why McGuinty wasn’t making a statement to correct his own record in the legislature.Hudak told a news conference that McGuinty “lied” to cover up the true cost of cancelling the power plants, which the government says is $230 million but the opposition parties put at a minimum of $650 million.Bentley’s claim that he honestly thought all documents had been released “doesn’t pass the sniff test,” said Hudak, who accused the Liberals of an orchestrated cover up.McGuinty was not immediately available for comment.NDP Leader Andrea Horwath says it’s clear “the government was not being honest” when it claimed to have released all the gas plant documents in September.Hudak complained in a letter Sunday that the second batch of documents “is virtually missing any correspondence or briefing materials at the political level,” the same complaint the opposition parties made about the first 36,000.“We have no reason to believe that this latest package of documents is complete,” wrote Hudak.Friday’s package is “almost devoid of emails, correspondence or briefing documents between the offices of the energy minister, premier or cabinet office,” added the Opposition leader.The fight by the Tories and NDP to get the documents from the Liberals triggered a contempt motion against Bentley that derailed all other legislative business for a week.Despite an impassioned, last-minute plea from McGuinty the opposition parties out-voted the minority government to send the contempt motion, and the issue of the gas plant documents, to the Finance Committee, which is to begin hearings this week.McGuinty “needs to take responsibility” for the scandal, and can start by agreeing to testify before the committee “to explain his role in this mess,” said Horwath. read more

TPC submits proposals on political solution to Wigneswaran

The proposals were compiled after a TPC committee met for several weeks and discussed a solution for the National issue and also obtained submissions from others.Proposals are also to be sought from the Tamil diaspora before a final set of proposals are compiled and submitted to the public for their approval. (Colombo Gazette) The Tamil People’s Council (TPC) has submitted a set of proposals on a political solution to Northern Province Chief Minister and TPC chairman C V Wigneswaran.According to reports, the proposals were handed over today and Wigneswaran is expected to make it public on Saturday. read more

Bricks of cocaine wash up on Florida beaches from Hurricane Dorian

[NBC] More than a dozen bricks of cocaine washed up on two Florida beaches Tuesday from waves churned up by Hurricane Dorian, police said.At around 8 a.m., a Melbourne police officer on foot patrol at Paradise Beach Park was alerted by a beachgoer that something suspicious appeared to have washed ashore.When the officer checked it out, he found a package “wrapped in a way that was consistent with narcotics,” a Melbourne police spokeswoman said.The brick was tested and was determined to be a kilo of cocaine, the spokeswoman said, adding that it will be destroyed.On the outside of the brick appeared to be the beginning of a word but the only letters visible are “D-I-A-M-A-N-T.” Melbourne police declined to comment on what was written on the brick, citing its investigation.Over in Cocoa Beach about 20 miles north, police were alerted to a duffel bag that had washed ashore and found 15 bricks of cocaine inside, Sergeant Manny Hernandez said.In the Orlando area, one kilo of cocaine is estimated to be worth $20,000 to $30,000, he said. The bag has since been turned over to the U.S. Custom and Border Protection, he said.Dorian, now a Category 2, began lashing the east coast of central Florida Tuesday night, prompting hurricane warnings for coastal Florida areas as well as warnings in Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Related£50m cocaine haul found on British beachesFebruary 10, 2017In “latest news”Canadian authorities seize ‘hot’ cargo from TrinidadJuly 13, 2016In “Crime”Four arrested in Suriname drug bust after discovery of body at 63 BeachJanuary 15, 2019In “Crime” read more